For example, ask an Android or iPhone user “when was the last time they carried a camera?” It’s amazing in this day of high tech hardware that a requirement this incredibly important is an awkward multi-step, multi-device process… Or, has the camera phone and Instagram replaced 90% of their picture and video taking needs. Over time, the amount of effort people invest in their devices is significant. So, one of the major tasks in buying a new smartphone is figuring out how to move all your personal information without having to spend three days doing it.
BlackBerry to Android
For Blackberry to Android, Google provides Google Sync, an application to sync your contacts and calendar. However, your pictures and videos are left behind…stuck in Blackberry purgatory. You can:
- Export your pictures and videos from your Blackberry to your computer using the Blackberry Media Manager
- Re-create your file system and upload them in Google Images and
- Sync to your new phone. That’s a lot of work, and you might not want to store your pictures and videos with Google.
BlackBerry to iPhone
For BlackBerry to iPhone, you can use Google Sync above and configure your iPhone to connect to your Gmail account…but what if you don’t want a Gmail account? Well, you can
- Download your contacts and calendar from the cloud onto your computer,
- Import them into an email client like Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express, iCal and sync your iPhone.
- For Pictures and Videos, you can use the Blackberry Media Manager to export them to your PC.
- From there, you can point iTunes at this folder to sync to your iPhone.
Again, a multi-step process with a PC in the middle…not fun.
But there’s a better way.
Perlego builds a product called SaveIt!, a full featured data backup and restore service keeping a user’s information safe in case of loss. It even accesses your SD card if you store your memory heavy items like videos there. Past this, it enables users to find their lost phone on a map, or lock and even wipe personal data from the phone if it’s gone for good. Backup and restore are available on both iPhone and Android with locate, lock, and wipe available on Android.
Most important for our topic, SaveIt! supports the seamless transfer of contacts, calendars, pictures and videos between Blackberry’s, Androids, and iPhones!
Transferring your contacts, calendar, pictures and videos is very easy.
- Download SaveIt! from the BlackBerry App World
- Register and do a full backup of your device.
- Go get your new Android or iPhone.
- Download SaveIt! from the respective app store.
- Sign in again and hit Restore…Done.
That’s it….. Really…… no PC’s, no iTunes, no Google account….wow.
Do it for free
Typically, SaveIt! is offered as a service where you can back up an unlimited amount of data for life and only pay when you need to restore. However, Perlego is taking advantage of the movement away from Blackberry with a special transfer promotion. Go to http://byebyeblackberry.com/where Perlego gives you a PIN good for 30 days of free of unlimited restores to get you into your new phone. (Normally $7.95) Perlego’s hope is that once your data is restored, you continue to use SaveIt! to make sure your personal information stays backed up and safe. Spoiler!!! In case you don’t want to go to the website, the PIN is “NEWPHONE”
Final comment: Some of my friends with iPhones asked why SaveIt! if they have iCloud? iCloud is a great product – but Apple will never allow you to move your contacts, pictures and videos to another competing smartphone. With SaveIt, your data is yours with no limitations. You want to move it to a new phone, no problem. Maybe I am paranoid, but I don’t like handcuffs, regardless if they are gold or any other precious metal.
What do you think? How has SaveIt! helped you transfer from a BlackBerry device? Please let us know.