Get access to over 700,000 titles
About This Book
No matter how visually appealing or content packed a web site may be, if it doesn’t reach the widest possible audience, it isn’t truly successful. In Bulletproof Web Design, Third Edition, bestselling author and web designer Dan Cederholm outlines standards-based strategies for building designs that can accommodate the myriad ways users choose to view the content. Each chapter starts out with an example of an unbulletproof approach--one that employs traditional HTML-based techniques--which Dan deconstructs, pointing out its limitations. He then gives the example a makeover using HTML and CSS, so you can learn to replace bloated code with lean markup and CSS for fast-loading sites that are accessible to all users. Finally, he assembles all of the page components discussed in prior chapters into a single-page template. This fully revised and updated third edition introduces CSS3 and HTML5 methods and features redesigned case studies including new responsive design examples.
- Size text using keywords, percentages, and ems to allow more user control.
- Plan for vertical expansion of horizontal page components.
- Use floats to achieve grid-like results.
- Ensure that content is still readable in the absence of images or CSS.
- Strip the presentation from data tables, and rebuild with CSS.
- Progressively enhance your designs using HTML5 and CSS3.
- Visit the companion website at simplebits.com/bulletproof to download finished files, additional resources, and book updates.