Get access to over 700,000 titles
About This Book
Parents Are Our Other Client: Ideas for Therapists, Social Workers, Support Workers, and Teachers stands out among the vast literature on counseling children and families by finally giving therapists, social workers, support workers, and teachers the tools necessary to work with the single most significant influence on children: the parents.
- Explains in an accessible and readable format how parenting patterns are learned unconsciously during early childhood and emerge later, when people become parents.
- Delivers a comprehensive and practical guide for professionals working to help parents see their children differently and change the way they interact with their children.
- Clarifies why directing attention to the non-verbal areas of a parent's brain with techniques such as imaging is essential for achieving a shift away from early learned patterns.
- Examines how a professional's own childhood experience influences the way he or she works with parents and how professionals can shift to more positive responding even with the most resistant parent.
- Provides informative clinical illustrations based on current research and the authors' extensive clinical and supervisory experience.