About This Book
Score higher on the ASVAB AFQT
Having a stable and well-paying career in the military can change your life for the better—and this book makes it easier than ever to pass the ASVAB AFQT so you can serve your country and set your future up for success.
Inside, you'll find all the guidance and instruction you need to practice your way through the Math Knowledge, Paragraph Comprehension, Word Knowledge, and Arithmetic Reasoning sections of the exam so nothing comes as a surprise on test day. Plus, you get a one-year subscription to the online companion, where you can take additional full-length practice tests and focus your study where you need it the most.
- Updated guidelines and tools to analyze test scores and understand how to master these critical sections of the exam
- Advice and tips for becoming more confident with vocabulary, word knowledge, and reading comprehension skills
- A review of math basics, including algebra and geometry instruction
- Four full-length practice exams with complete explanations and answers to track your progress
Your future in the military awaits! Get there faster and more confidently with ASVAB AFQT For Dummies!
Getting Started with the ASVAB AFQT
Examining the AFQT
Getting a Close-Up View of the AFQT
- Arithmetic Reasoning: The Arithmetic Reasoning subtest consists of math word problems. The subtest is multiple-choice. On the computerized-adaptive test (the CAT version or CAT-ASVAB), which most applicants take, you get 39 minutes to correctly solve 16 questions. If you’re taking the paper version, you get 36 minutes solve as many of the 30 problems as you can. Chapter 11 leads you step-by-step through solving math word problems. Take a look at Chapter 12 for some tips on doing well on this subtest.
- Word Knowledge: The Word Knowledge subtest is a vocabulary test, plain and simple. You have to find words that are “closest in meaning” or “most opposite in meaning” to underlined words in the question stem. You have to define 16 words in 8 minutes on the CAT-ASVAB or define 35 words in 11 minutes on the paper version. You can boost your vocabulary knowledge by following the advice in Chapter 5 and get an idea of what the subtest is all about in Chapter 6.
- Paragraph Comprehension: The Paragraph Comprehension subtest requires you to read a paragraph and then answer one to four questions about information contained in that paragraph. The computerized version has 11 questions in all, and you’re expected to complete the subtest in 22 minutes; the paper version has 15 questions you have to power through in 13 minutes. Chapter 7 can help you sharpen your reading comprehension skills, and you can get a little practice with the P...