Get access to over 700,000 titles
About This Book
Discipline-Specific Writing provides an introduction and guide to the teaching of this topic for students and trainee teachers. This book highlights the importance of discipline-specific writing as a critical area of competence for students, and covers both the theory and practice of teaching this crucial topic. With chapters from practitioners and researchers working across a wide range of contexts around the world, Discipline-Specific Writing:
- Explores teaching strategies in a variety of specific areas including science and technology, social science and business;
- Discusses curriculum development, course design and assessment, providing a framework for the reader;
- Analyses the teaching of language features including grammar and vocabulary for academic writing;
- Demonstrates the use of genre analysis, annotated bibliographies and corpora as tools for teaching;
- Provides practical suggestions for use in the classroom, questions for discussion and additional activities with each chapter.
Discipline-Specific Writing is key reading for students taking courses in English for Specific Purposes, Applied Linguistics, TESOL, TEFL and CELTA.