Get access to over 700,000 titles
About This Book
Graphic Design: Learn It, Do It is an introduction to the fundamentals of graphic design and the Adobe Creative Cloud applications used to put these concepts into practice. This book is intended for production-oriented audiences, those interested in the what, why and how of graphic design. The "what" is effective graphic design, a visual solution created using the design principles that stands out in a crowded marketplace. This discussion includes color theory, typography and page layout. Focus on the "why" of design begins with the reasons why we communicate. Attention is paid to the purpose of the visual solution and to its audiences. The conversation highlights output options (print vs. onscreen) and their related file properties. The "how" of design addresses the stages of production and use of Adobe Photoshop CC, Illustrator CC and InDesign CC to translate an idea into a visual solution. Following an overview of each application and its uses, step-by-step exercises are provided to foster familiarity with each application's workspace and its tools. These exercises provide opportunities to implement the design principles and to produce examples of work for a design portfolio.
- Content based on over a decade's worth of experience teaching graphic design
- Contemporary examples and online references
- Guided exercises for working in the Adobe Creative Cloud applications, Photoshop CC, Illustrator CC and InDesign CC
- Accompanying exercise files and supporting materials available for download from the book's companion website
- Discussion questions and activities included at the end of chapters to expand the presented topics