About This Book
Using Music to Enhance Student Learning: A Practical Guide for Elementary Classroom Teachers, Third Edition, provides Elementary Education students with the tools and pedagogical skills they need to integrate music into the general education classroom setting. The goal of this interdisciplinary approach is to increase student engagement in Language Arts, Math, Science, and Social Studies—with minimal music theory involved—while stimulating social and emotional development. Supported by current research in an ever-changing field, the strategies and methods collected here are suitable for pre- and in-service teachers alike, highlighting intuitive musical pathways that are effective in maintaining a student's attention, building motivation, and enhancing learning in all subjects.
New to this edition:
- A new chapter—"The Brain Connection"—detailing music's impact on learning
- Updated listening maps, unique to Using Music to Enhance Student Learning and its teaching method
- A revised and comprehensive songbook as an appendix—no longer a separate booklet
- Updated listening examples to reflect diverse populations
- Modified references throughout to account for recent research
A robust companion website features full-color animated listening maps, streaming audio tracks, sample syllabi and quizzes, assignment rubrics, links for additional resources, and more. Ideal for promoting learning experiences in both music and general classroom subjects, Using Music to Enhance Student Learning presents musical integration strategies that are practical, efficient, and easy to infuse into standard curricula.