- Available on iOS & Android
About This Book
Silicon photonics is currently a very active and progressive area of research, as silicon optical circuits have emerged as the replacement technology for copper-based circuits in communication and broadband networks. The demand for ever improving communications and computing performance continues, and this in turn means that photonic circuits are finding ever increasing application areas. This text provides an important and timely overview of the 'hot topics' in the field, covering the various aspects of the technology that form the research area of silicon photonics.
With contributions from some of the world's leading researchers in silicon photonics, this book collates the latest advances in the technology. Silicon Photonics: the State of the Art opens with a highly informative foreword, and continues to feature:
- the integrated photonic circuit;
- silicon photonic waveguides;
- photonic bandgap waveguides;
- mechanisms for optical modulation in silicon;
- silicon based light sources;
- optical detection technologies for silicon photonics;
- passive silicon photonic devices;
- photonic and electronic integration approaches;
- applications in communications and sensors.
Silicon Photonics: the State of the Art covers the essential elements of the entire field that is silicon photonics and is therefore an invaluable text for photonics engineers and professionals working in the fields of optical networks, optical communications, and semiconductor electronics. It is also an informative reference for graduate students studying for PhD in fibre optics, integrated optics, optical networking, microelectronics, or telecommunications.