Get access to over 700,000 titles
About This Book
Recipient of the 2021 NAGC Curriculum Award
Americans throw away 254 million tons of trash every year, and students are naturally curious about where it all goes. Erase the Waste and Turn Trash Into Cash, a 30-lesson interdisciplinary science unit:
- Is designed to teach high-ability third and fourth graders how to think like real-world environmental engineers.
- Requires students to reduce, reuse, recycle, and reimagine trash in new and innovative ways.
- Was designed using the research-based Integrated Curriculum Model.
- Features challenging problem-based learning tasks and engaging resources.
- Includes detailed teacher instructions and suggestions for differentiation.
In this unit, students study the concept of innovation and learn to manage and dispose of waste in creative and environmentally friendly ways, all while building an understanding of sustainability, recycling, environmental science, and the green economy. Suggestions and guidance are included on how teachers can adjust the rigor of learning tasks based on students' interests and needs.