- 376 pages
- ePUB (mobile friendly)
- Available on iOS & Android
About This Book
Practical and straightforward, this book is a multidisciplinary introduction to the process of planning, conducting and analysing qualitative research, from selecting appropriate methods to publishing your findings. Built around the authors' Qualitative Research Cycle – consisting of the design, data collection and analytic cycles – this pragmatic guide clearly demonstrates the steps you need to take to ensure your research is rigorous and robust. Drawing on decades of experience teaching workshops, the book is packed with techniques and tools to help you turn theory and method into research practice. This second edition:
- Showcases the importance of linking research design to data analysis, helping you avoid potential pitfalls and get the most out of your data
- Highlights the relevance and wide application of qualitative methods with an array of international examples of real field research and interdisciplinary case studies
- Gives clear guidance on writing qualitative research, including how to respond to critiques of qualitative methods
- Has a renewed focus on evaluating quality in qualitative research, ensuring your work is valid, reflexive and ethical
Offering tried and tested research tools like interview guides that you can apply to your own projects and supported by online resources including checklists and reflective questions, this book is the perfect companion for anyone looking to complete a successful project using qualitative research methods.
Frequently asked questions
1 Introduction to the Book
- know who this book is for;
- become familiar with our qualitative research cycle;
- become familiar with the features of this book;
- know the structure of this book.
Who is this book for?
The qualitative research cycle
The design cycle
The data collection cycle
The analytic cycle
Structure of the book
Features of the book
- Theory and practice. We include a discussion of the theoretical principles as well as the practical application of qualitative research, through case studies, field examples and exercises.
- International field examples. We provide many examples from our own research in the health and population sciences. Our research reflects the international context of our work and highlights the application of qualitative research in different cultural contexts.
- Interdisciplinary case studies. We include case study examples fr...