Get access to over 750,000 titles
About This Book
A conciseyet comprehensiveaccountofthe rolesandinfluences ofgenderover the millennia, featuring new and updated content throughout
Gender in History: Global Perspectives, Third Edition, explores the construction and evolution of genderinmany of the world's culturesfrom the Paleolithic era to the COVID pandemic of the twenty-first century.Broad in geographicand topical scope, this comprehensive volumediscussesthe waysfamilies, religions, social hierarchies, politics, work, education, art, sexuality, and other issues are linked to various conceptions of gender.
Now organized chronologically rather than topically, thisextensively revised editionpresentsa wealth ofup-to-dateinformation based on the scholarship of the last decade.New and expanded chapters offer insights on the connections between genderand key eventsand trendsin world history, includingdomestication and the development of agriculture, thegrowth of cities and larger-scale political structures, the spread of world religions, changingideas of race, class, and sexuality, colonialismandimperialism, capitalism, wars, revolutions, and more.Written by a distinguishedscholar in the field of women'sand genderhistory, thisthirdedition ofGender in History:
- Examineshow genderroleswere shaped byfamily life, religious traditions, variousother institutions, and howthe institutionswere influenced by gender
- Considerswhygendervariationsdeveloped in differentculturesand in diversesocial, ethnic, and racial groups withina singleculture
- Addressesideasindifferentculturesthatshaped bothinformalsocietalnorms and formalized laws
- Exploresdebatesaboutthe origins of patriarchy, the development ofcomplex gender hierarchies, and contemporary movements forsocialchange
- Discussesthegender implications of modern issues including theglobal pandemicandongoing culturaland economicshifts
- Includes an accessibleintroductiontokey theoretical and methodological issuesandaninstructor'swebsitesite with visual and written original sources
Gender in History: Global Perspectives, Third Edition, is essential reading for undergraduate and graduate students in courses such asthose on women'shistory, women inworldhistory, andgender inworldhistory, and a valuable supplementfor general survey courses withinHistory andWomen's andGender Studies programs.